AskLasikDocs Homepage

Google

Go Back   AskLasikDocs > Ask questions about surgery and healing > General Questions
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2009, 03:40 PM

Question re: Astigmatism returning after Lasik

I had my 3 week post-lasik appt yesterday. I was originally nearsighted -4.75 and -6.00 with astigmatism in each eye of 1.75. After my one week appt I showed some overcorrection to farsightedness. Today, my testing showed .25 and .50 farsighted, but astigmatism has also appeared .75 (left eye) and 1.0 (right eye). I noticed the last few days, I could read perfectly if I didn't have the ghosting. When I mentioned this to my doctor, she checked and found the astigmatism. She said it's too soon for an enhancement, but perhaps down the road.

My question is if astigmatism has appeared, is it possible for it to also lessen as the healing continues? I am 52 years old and have been using reading glasses the last 3 weeks, but noticed the last week that it was easier to see my computer without the glasses - then all of a sudden I started noticing the ghosting. Lasik sure teaches you patience!!
Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2009, 10:37 PM

Patience after LASIK

Because of a loss of focusing ability that occurs after LASIK, many patients over the age of 40 may find the obtaining a more exact correction is more crucial than a patient with similar correction/result who is of younger age. During healing, there can be transient changes in your correction which you may be more sensitive to and, yes, you could get better but may also get worse. You are correct in the advisability and virtue of patience. Please wait to make a decision on enhancement until your doctor has determined that your correction is stable. Then discuss the pros and/or cons of LASIK enhancement on one or both eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2dream View Post
I had my 3 week post-lasik appt yesterday. I was originally nearsighted -4.75 and -6.00 with astigmatism in each eye of 1.75. After my one week appt I showed some overcorrection to farsightedness. Today, my testing showed .25 and .50 farsighted, but astigmatism has also appeared .75 (left eye) and 1.0 (right eye). I noticed the last few days, I could read perfectly if I didn't have the ghosting. When I mentioned this to my doctor, she checked and found the astigmatism. She said it's too soon for an enhancement, but perhaps down the road.

My question is if astigmatism has appeared, is it possible for it to also lessen as the healing continues? I am 52 years old and have been using reading glasses the last 3 weeks, but noticed the last week that it was easier to see my computer without the glasses - then all of a sudden I started noticing the ghosting. Lasik sure teaches you patience!!
Cary, North Carolina 27513
(919) 467-9955
http://www.visionauthorities.com/
Old 05-21-2009, 01:46 PM

Just thought I'd post an update to my lasik surgery that was done on April 3rd.

Today, at 7 weeks post-op, I'm happy to report:
Left eye - plano with .50 astigmatism: Right eye +.25 with .50 astigmatism.

I have now ordered replacement lenses in my old glasses, so that I can see more comfortably.

I especially noticed my vision becoming very good this past week or so. Distance is still very good and I'm not experiencing any halos, glares, etc. I use tears about 4 times a day ( if I remember!!) and eyes have not been dry. I've actually noticed my eyes tear a little on their own at times, like when I'm walking in the wind - Yeah!!!

Dr. Dornic I'd like to thank you for your assistance. This message forum is wonderful and is so helpful to answer the questions that come up about laser surgery. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:29 PM

Improvement

I'm very happy for you. Keep using those artificial tears!
(919) 467-9955
Old 07-07-2009, 06:49 PM

3 month check

Today was my 3 month checkup my optometrist told me I am seeing 20/20 in both eyes. My measurements have remained unchanged from my 7 week checkup.

Left eye - plano with .50 astigmatism: Right eye +.25 with .50 astigmatism.

I have no ghosting, glares, halos.....compared to where I started, (-4.75 and -6.00 with astigmatism in each eye of 1.75) I'm Very Happy with my lasik results!
Old 07-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Congratulations

Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm very happy for you.
(919) 467-9955